Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Forgiveness.

This is my best friend.

I am blessed to have an incredibly steadfast best friend. She is wise beyond her years, constantly reminding me of the simple but strong truths of scripture. We were talking about anger and forgiveness last week and she said some simple yet profound things to me. As I work through some of my anger issues, I am constantly re-reading this one text message she sent me. I want to share it because it reminds us all that our view of justice is not the Lord's. His ways our higher than ours. We want to see the justice, for everything to be fair... but usually what we think is the right path and what really is are not even close to being the same thing.

"You can forgive and stand up for yourself at the same time. You can acknowledge when you were treated like crap and then choose not to hold it against them and let go of your anger for your own health. And because if life was just we would all deserve to be stoned to death. But that doesn't mean you have to try and forget about everything that happened and try to just sweep it under the rug. You can say I forgive you, I'm not holding how you treated me against you but I won't subject myself to it again."

My favorite part is where she reminds me that if everything were as it should be, we would all get what we deserve. The consequences of sin is death. A lot of people also forget that forgiveness doesn't mean being a doormat. You can forgive someone for something they did that hurts you but that doesn't mean you have to subject yourself to habitual, unfair behavior if you can avoid it. See? I told you she's awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment